Are you a foodie and always try to cook a different recipe? If yes, then we are here with the south Indian tomato rice recipe. The recipe of the south Indian tomato rice recipe is very simple, easy, and quick and it is also known as thakkali sadam. So in the following, there is the step by step guidance to cook the south Indian tomato rice recipe.
Ingredients For South Indian Tomato Rice Recipe
Tomatoes- medium to large, finely chopped or a cup of finely chopped tomatoes, tightly packed or 200 grams tomatoes, 1 million –medium size, finely chopped or 1/3 cup of finely chopped onions, green chili chopped, optional fenugreek seeds, 2 green cardamoms, turmeric powder, curry leaves, ½ teaspoon mustard seeds, ginger garlic paste or ½ inch ginger with 5 to 6 medium-sized garlic crushed to a paste in the mortar-pestle, red chili powder, chopped mint leaves, chopped coriander leaves, 2 cup water, salt as per taste, 2 tbsp oil, cumin powder, black pepper powder or crushed black pepper, cinnamon and some other ingredients.
A Step By Step Guide
- Rinse one heaped cup of the basmati rice or any other regular rice for a couple of times in water. Soak the rice in water for thirty minutes and after this, drain the water and keep the rice aside.
- Now, chop the tomatoes, onions, green chili finely, and peel as well as crush the ginger-garlic in the mortar-pestle. Along with this, chop the mint and coriander leaves. Then keep aside all the required spices for rice.
- After this, heat oil in a pressure cooker on the low flame along with this adds mustard seeds and crackles them. Now, it is time to add the fenugreek seeds and lightly salute them for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions, cinnamon, cardamoms, and cloves. Stir continuously and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- In this step, you have to add the chopped mint leaves as well as chopped coriander leaves.
- Then add the ginger-garlic paste, chopped green chili as well as curry leaves. Stir it and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic paste goes away.
- After this, stir it constantly on the low flames for a couple of minutes.
- Now, it is the time of the addition of the finely chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, ½ tbsp black pepper powder or crushed black pepper, ½ tbsp coriander powder as well as 1 tbsp cumin powder. If you do not like spicy rice then you can add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste, ¼ red chili powder, and ¼ of black pepper powder.
- Mix it well and stir it continuously and salute the tomatoes very well. Moreover, the tomatoes should soften and may become pulpy with the release of oil from the sides.
- Now, it is time to add the soaked rice and then mix it well with the tomatoes. Add the salt as per your choice. Cover the pressure cooker with the lid.
- After the two whistles, when the cooker settles down then remove the lid.
- Now, it is the time to eat tomato rice, you can serve the rice with appalams or chips or with side raita.