Sambhar is the delicious south Indian dishes which is healthy, nutritious and tasty as well as popular one in all over the country. A popular saying about South Indian Sambar is that it provides complete nutrition as it is full of protein because of use if lentil and full of nutrition because of the vegetables used to cook this. It is south Indian lentil stew made with vegetables, lentils and a special blend of spices. Here is the step by step guide of sambhar.
How To Make Sambar:
- First of all, wash toor daal until the water runs clear.
- Put daal in cooker and add 2 cups of water and turn on the gas and wait for 2-4 whistles on medium flame.
- You can cook daal in a pot too but keep in mind that daal must be cooked smooth.
- Rinse all the vegetables, scrape the drumsticks lightly and wash them. Chop them in 2 inch pieces.
- Chop tomatoes and okra, and peel the skin of pumpkin and chop them in dice if you are using one.
How To Prepare South Indian Sambar Powder:
- Dry roast red chilli, urad daal and chana daal until they become golden and crisp. Add coriander seed, and roast them until they leave an aromatic fragrance, keep them all aside in a plate.
- Add methi seeds, sauté them till they become a little dark in colour and then add cumin seed and fry them for a minute. Keep them aside to let them cool and make their powder.
How To Make Sambar
- Take a pan and pour 5 cups of water in that and add all the vegetables.
- Cook all the veggie until they become soft but don’t lose their shape.
- Soak a tamarind in a 1/4 cup of lukewarm water.
- Switch off the gas and when the pressure goes off, mash daal to smooth.
- Make sure that the daal must be very smooth otherwise the taste of smabhar will alter in few hours.
- Add sambhar powder, turmeric and salt to the veggies when they are completely cooked.
- Cook veggies for 3-5 more minutes and then add tamarind pulp in it.
- Add daal to the veggies and mix them all well. Bring it to a boil.
- Check the taste and if need adjust salt according to your taste.
- Heath another pan and put oil or ghee in it.
- Add mustard, cumin and methi seed when oil becomes hot. Add curry leaves and a piece of red chilli when they become to sizzle.
- Off the heat when curry leaves become crisp and add a pinch of hing.
- Now pour this seasoning to the sambhar quickly, stir the sambhar and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Ingredients Used For Sambar
Serving: 2-3 People
- ½ cup toor dal
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups water
- 10 drumstick pieces
- ¼ onion, cubed
- ½ to tomato, roughly chopped
- 7 pieces brinjal / eggplant
- ½ carrot, chopped
- ½ potato, chopped
- OTHER INGREDIENTS:
- ½ lemon sized tamarind
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- TEMPERING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil / any cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¾ tsp urad dal
- few curry leaves
- pinch of hing