The word achari means pickle in Hindi and so the recipe which has achar in it adds a pre-fix of achari. Internet is full of the mushroom recipe from the culinary world. Indian pickle is full of spices and flavours which is labelled as “Achari”.
The Achar spice is made by blending mustard, cumin, fennel, fenugreek, carrom, dry chillies, dry mango and nigella seeds which create an awesome aroma in the achar.
Make your achari spices by blending all the spices available at your home. It is not difficult and you can make it easy, just add all the spices you have. Here is the Achari mushroom recipe for you. You can use any vegetable or meat if a mushroom is not available.
You can serve achari mushroom as a great starter. Add onion and tomato with mushroom, coat it with a flavourful thick sauce. Dress it with freshly chopped coriander, a pinch of dry fenugreek leaves a squirt of lemon to enhance its flavours.
Achari Mushroom Recipe
- First of all roast, all the spices dry except the red chillies and dry mango powder. Keep them aside to cool. Roast the chillies separately and make sure not to burn them. Once spices get cool, grind them together. To make achari spice blend mix them in the dry mango powder.
- Take a pan, heat oil and sauté the chopped onions. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the onions are softened and turn light brown.
- Make a puree of one tomato.
- Now add turmeric, Kashmiri chilli and achari spice blend to the onions. Add the tomato puree after sautéing on low flame for a minute. Continue to cook on low flame till the puree thickens and the gravy comes together.
- Add the mushrooms to the puree and sauté for 2 minutes on high flame; add salt as per your taste. The mushrooms will release a bit of water which helps to bring the dish together. Taste the dish and adjust seasoning accordingly. Do not overcook the mushrooms; it should still have a bit to it when finished.
- Take off flame, add the fenugreek leaves, lemon and coriander leave to dress it and serve hot.
Here is the list of ingredients.
Achari spice blend:
1. 2 tbsp mustard seeds
2. 2 tbsp cumin seeds
3. 2 tbsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
4. 2 tbsp fennel seeds
5. 2 tsp fenugreek seeds
6. 1 tsp carrom seeds (ajwain)
7. 75 gms dry red chilli
8. 2 tsp dry mango powder (amchoor)
For the dish:
9. 500gms white button mushrooms; washed, dried and halved
10. 3 tbsp mustard oil
11. 1 red onion, chopped finely
12. 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
13. 1 inch ginger, chopped finely
14. 1 large red tomato, blanched and pureed
15. ¼ tsp turmeric powder
16. 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
17. 1 tsp achari spice blend
18. ¼ tsp dry fenugreek leaves
19. Salt, to season
20. juice of ½ lemon
21. ½ cup chopped coriander leaves